Colonel Scott J. Belanger is Vice Commander, 82nd Training Wing, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas. As the vice commander, he assists and advises the commander responsible for the training of more than 60,000 Air Force, Army, Navy and Marine Corps students annually at Sheppard AFB and also through the wing's field training detachments located throughout the world. The 82nd TRW trains almost half of all the Air Force's enlisted Airmen in career fields such as aircraft maintenance, logistics and civil engineering. The wing is made up of three training groups, a mission support group and a medical group. The 82nd TRW also provides support services to the 80th Flying Training Wing.
Colonel Belanger graduated from Louisiana Tech University in Ruston, La., and commissioned through ROTC in 1997. As a career logistician, he served in a variety of positions at the squadron, major command and headquarters levels. Prior to his current duties, he was Assistant Deputy Director, Operational Logistics, Directorate of Logistics, Headquarters European Command, Patch Barracks, Stuttgart, Germany. A graduate of the National War College at Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington D.C., his previous experience includes Headquarters Air Force Staff at the Pentagon as the Senior Executive Officer to the Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Installations and Mission Support; command of two overseas squadrons; duties at Headquarters Air Mobility Command and Headquarters Alaskan Command/11th Air Force as Aide-de-Camp to the Commander; and as an Air Force Intern on the Air and Joint Staffs.
Colonel Belanger is a fully qualified joint officer and has deployed four times to the U.S. Central Command Theater in direct support of combat operations in Afghanistan, Iraq and the Horn of Africa.
1994 Bachelor of Science in Marketing, Louisiana Tech University, Ruston, La.
1997 Master of Arts in Industrial Psychology, Louisiana Tech University, Ruston, La.
2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2003 Graduate Certificate of Organizational Management, George Washington University, Washington D.C.
2007 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence (Air Force Intern – Residence Credit)
2011 Accelerated Aircraft Maintenance Officer Course, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
2011 Air War College, by correspondence
2015 Master of Science in National Security Strategy, National War College, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington D.C.
1. May 1997 - February 1999, 12th Transportation Squadron, Randolph AFB, Texas
2. February 1999 - June 2000, Chief of Protocol/Assistant Executive Officer to the Commander, 19th Air Force, Randolph AFB, Texas
3. June 2000 - May 2002, Flight Commander, 723rd Air Mobility Squadron, Ramstein AB, Germany
4. May 2002 - June 2003, Air Force Intern Program, Headquarters USAF, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
5. June 2003 - November 2004, Flight Commander, 3rd Logistics Readiness Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
6. November 2004 - May 2006, Aide-de-Camp to the Commander, Alaskan Command, Alaskan North American Aerospace Defense Command Region, 11th Air Force and Joint Task Force Alaska, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
7. May 2006 - November 2007, Action Officer, Air Transportation Division, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
8. December 2007 - May 2009, Special Actions Officer, Headquarters Air Mobility Command Commander’s Action Group, Scott AFB, Ill.
9. June 2009 - July 2011, Commander, 724th Air Mobility Squadron, Aviano AB, Italy
10. July 2011 - July 2012, Commander, 8th Expeditionary Air Mobility Squadron, Al Udeid, Qatar
11. August 2012 - July 2013, Deputy Chair, Logistics Panel, Directorate of Resource Integration, Headquarters USAF, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
12. August 2013 - July 2014, Senior Executive Officer, Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Installations and Mission Support, Headquarters USAF, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
13. August 2014 - June 2015, student, National War College, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
14. July 2015 - July 2017, Assistant Deputy Director, Operational Logistics, Directorate of Logistics, Headquarters European Command, Patch Barracks, Stuttgart, Germany
15. July 2017 - Present Vice Commander, 82nd Training Wing, Sheppard AFB, Texas
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2015 - July 2017, Assistant Deputy Director, Operational Logistics, Directorate of Logistics, Headquarters European Command, Patch Barracks, Stuttgart, Germany
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
National Defense Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal
Air and Space Campaign Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 10, 1997
First Lieutenant May 28, 1999
Captain May 28, 2001
Major October 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel December 1, 2010
Colonel April 1, 2017
(Current as of April 2018)