Brig. Gen. Kenyon K. Bell is Commander, 82nd Training Wing and Installation Commander, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas. He is responsible for the training of more than 60,000 officers and enlisted Air Force, Army, Navy, Marine Corps and international students annually at Sheppard AFB and more than 60 geographically separated units worldwide. The 82nd TRW produces nearly half of all Air Force technical training graduates every year, delivering instruction in aircraft maintenance, logistics, civil engineering and telecommunications career fields. The wing consists of three training groups, a mission support group and a medical group and also provides base support services to the 80th Flying Training Wing's Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training program.
The general was born in Columbia, South Carolina, and received his commission from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1995. He has commanded units stateside and overseas at the squadron, group and wing levels to include serving as the first Commander of the 451st Expeditionary Maintenance Squadron at Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan, in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. Brig. Gen. Bell has served tours as an air base wing commander; a staff officer at Headquarters Air Force and the office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs; an aide de camp for the Commander, United States Forces Japan and Fifth Air Force; and in numerous leadership positions within the Air Force enterprise. Prior to his current assignment, he served as the commander, 72nd Air Base Wing and Installation Commander at Tinker Air Force Base, Oklahoma.
1995 Bachelor of Science, Biology, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1999 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2007 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2008 Master of Military Studies, Marine Corps Command and Staff College, Quantico, Va.
2012 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2012 Advanced Program in Logistics and Technology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
2014 Master of Arts, National Security & Strategic Studies, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
2015 Depot and Arsenal Executive Leadership Program, The Institute for Defense and Business, Kenan-Flagler School of Business, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
2015 Lean Maintenance, Repair, and Overhaul, Haslam College of Business, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
2016 Leadership Development Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1. July 1995 – October 1995, Student, Aircraft Maintenance Officer Course, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
2. October 1995 – June 1999, Accessories and Aerospace Ground Equipment Flight Commander, 89th Maintenance Squadron; later Transient Alert Officer-in-Charge and Sortie Generation Flight Commander, 89th Aircraft Generation Squadron, Andrews AFB, Md.
3. June 1999 – November 2000, Chief, Quality Assurance, 374th Logistics Group; later Maintenance Supervisor, 374th Maintenance Squadron, Yokota Air Base, Japan
4. November 2000 – November 2001, Aide-de-Camp to the Commander, Fifth Air Force and United States Forces Japan, Yokota AB, Japan
5. December 2001 – December 2002, Sortie Generation Flight Commander, 35th Fighter Squadron; later 80th Aircraft Maintenance Unit Officer-in-Charge, 8th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Kunsan AB, South Korea
6. December 2002 – June 2004, 94th Aircraft Maintenance Unit Officer-in-Charge, 1st Aircraft Maintenance Squadron; later Maintenance Supervisor, 1st Equipment Maintenance Squadron, Langley AFB, Va.
7. June 2004 – June 2006, Chief, Fighter and Trainer Aircraft Systems, Directorate of Maintenance; later Assistant Executive Officer, Directorate of Maintenance, Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Installations and Mission Support, United States Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
8. July 2006 – July 2007, Executive Officer, Directorate of Resource Integration, Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Installations and Mission Support, United States Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
9. July 2007 – June 2008, Student, Marine Corps Command and Staff College, Quantico Marine Base, Va.
10. July 2008 – June 2010, Commander, 3rd Equipment Maintenance Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska (July 2009 – January 2010, Commander, 451st Expeditionary Maintenance Squadron, Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan)
11. July 2010 – July 2013, Strategy Branch Chief and later Readiness Branch Chief, Directorate of Logistics, The Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
12. July 2013 – June 2014, Student, College of Naval Warfare, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
13. July 2014 – June 2015, Deputy Commander, 76th Propulsion Maintenance Group, Tinker AFB, Okla.
14. June 2015 – April 2017, Commander, 76th Aircraft Maintenance Group, Tinker AFB, Okla.
15. May 2017 – June 2019, Commander, 72nd Air Base Wing, Tinker AFB, Okla.
16. June 2019 - present, Commander, 82nd Training Wing, Sheppard AFB, Texas
1. July 2010 – July 2013, Strategy Branch Chief and later Readiness Branch Chief, Directorate of Logistics, The Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va., as a lieutenant colonel
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with silver leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with bronze star
Korean Defense Service Medal
2009 Air Force Lieutenant General Leo Marquez Award
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 30, 1995
First Lieutenant May 30, 1997
Captain May 30, 1999
Major Aug. 1, 2005
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2010
Colonel Aug. 1, 2015
Brigadier General Dec. 2, 2020
(Current as of December 2020)