Col. Robert F. Haas, Jr., is Commander, 80th Flying Training Wing at Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas. Also known as the Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training Program, the wing is the world’s only internationally manned and managed undergraduate pilot training program and includes participants from 14 NATO nations: Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Greece, Italy, The Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Turkey, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
The colonel graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina, in 1995. He is a graduate of the Air War College, and served in a variety of positions at the squadron, group and Numbered Air Force level. He was a squadron commander, 50th Flying Training Squadron, Columbus AFB, Miss., and the chief of Standardization and Evaluations, 12th Air Force, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
Colonel Haas is a command pilot with over 2,500 hours, including 248 combat hours, in the F-117A, F-16, and T-38A/C Talon. His combat experience includes Operations Joint Guardian, Southern Watch, Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom. Prior to his current position, he served as commander, 71st Operations Group, Vance AFB, Okla. He supervised all flying activities for the 71st Flying Training Wing as it conducted specialized undergraduate pilot training for more than 300 Air Force and Allied student pilots each year, operated more than 200 aircraft, flew more than 55,000 sorties annually and logged more than 80,000 flying hours each year.
1995 Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, The Citadel, Charleston, S.C.
1997 Master of Business Administration, Mississippi State University, Starkville, Miss.
2002 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 Air Command and Staff College by correspondence
2008 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Master of Military Operational Art and Science Degree, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2011 Air War College by correspondence
2016 Master of Strategic Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. September 1995–May 1999, Financial Services Officer, Columbus AFB, Miss.
2. May 1999–May 2000, Student, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
3. June 2000–July 2001, USAF Basic Operational Training Course F-16, Luke AFB, Ariz.
4. July 2001–February 2004, Assistant Chief of Weapons, F-16 flight lead, Aviano Air Base, Italy
5. February 2004–July 2007, Assistant Director of Operations, Holloman AFB, N.M.
6. July 2007–July 2008, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. July 2008–July 2010, Chief of Contingency Operations, Osan AB, Korea
8. December 2010–May 2011, Assistant Director of Operation, Columbus AFB, Miss.
9. May 2011–July 2013, Commander, 50th Flying Training Squadron, Columbus AFB, Miss.
10. July 2013–July 2015, Chief, Combat Plans Division, Ramstein AB, Germany
11. July 2015–July 2016, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
12. July 2016–July 2018, Director, 12th Air Force Standardization and Evaluation, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
13. July 2018–June 2020, Commander, 71st Operations Group, Vance AFB, Okla.
14. June 2020–Present, Commander, 80th Flying Training Wing
Rating: command pilot
Flight Hours: More than 2,500
Aircraft Flown: F-117A, F-16, T-38C, AT-38B, T-38A, T-37B
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
AF Outstanding Unit Award
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Aug. 11, 1995
First Lieutenant Aug. 11, 1997
Captain Aug. 11, 1999
Major March 1, 2005
Lieutenant Colonel Nov. 1, 2010
Colonel Feb. 1, 2017
(Current as of June 2020)