Chief Master Sergeant Matthew E. Mueller is currently the Command Chief Master Sergeant, 80th Flying Training Wing, Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas. He is the chief enlisted advisor to the Commander, 80th FTW, for all matters concerning morale, welfare, utilization, training, and professional development of assigned personnel. The wing is responsible for conducting the Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training mission. This program is the world’s only internationally manned and managed Undergraduate Pilot Training Program and includes participants from 14 NATO nations: Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Turkey, United Kingdom and the United States.
Chief Mueller grew up near Champaign, Illinois, and entered the Air Force in February 1997. Upon graduating technical schools at Sheppard AFB and Altus AFB, Okla., as a C-5 loadmaster, he was assigned to Travis Air Force Base, Calif., where he served in a variety of duties. Prior to assuming his current position, he served as group superintendent, 71st Operations Group, 71st Flying Training Wing, Vance AFB, Okla.
2000 Airman Leadership School, Travis AFB, Calif.
2007 Associate of Applied Science in Aviation Operations, Community College of the Air Force
2008 NCO Academy, Gunter Annex-Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Bachelor of Science degree in Workforce Education & Development, Southern Illinois University-Carbondale, Carbondale, Ill.
2009 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education Correspondence Course
2010 Senior Non-Commissioned Officer Academy Correspondence Course
2012 Professional Manager Certification, Community College of the Air Force
2013 Master’s in Business Administration and Management, Trident University, Cypress, Calif. 2014 Senior Non-Commissioned Officer Academy, Gunter Annex-Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2018 Chief Leadership Course, Gunter Annex-Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2019 Air Force Command Chief Master Sergeant Training Course, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
2020 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education II Correspondence Course
2020 Project Management Professional (PMP), Project Management Institute, Newtown Square, Pa.
1. February 1997–March 1997, Student, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. March 1997–May 1997, Student, Technical Training School, Sheppard AFB, Texas
3. May 1997–August 1997, Student, Technical Training School, Altus AFB, Okla.
4. August 1997–September 2002, C-5 Loadmaster, 21st Airlift Squadron, Travis AFB, Calif.
5. October 2002–June 2004, C-5 Instructor Loadmaster, Assistant NCOIC Loadmaster Training, 21st Airlift Squadron, Travis AFB, Calif. (November 2003–January 2004, 781st Expeditionary Airlift Squadron, Moron Air Base, Spain)
6. June 2004–April 2006, C-5 Examiner Loadmaster, 21st Airlift Squadron, Travis AFB, Calif.
7. April 2006–July 2008, Assistant NCOIC PACOM/EUCOM Support Branch, 618th Tanker Airlift Control Center, Scott AFB, Ill.
8. August 2008–August 2010, Global Operations Director, 618th Tanker Airlift Control Center, Scott AFB, Ill.
9. September 2010–December 2011, Operations Superintendent, Additional Duty First Sergeant, 10th Airlift Squadron, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash. (April 2011–May 2011, Operations Superintendent, 816th Expeditionary Airlift Squadron, Al Udeid AB, Qatar) (May 2011–August 2011, Operations Superintendent, 817th Expeditionary Airlift Squadron, Incirlik AB, Turkey)
10. January 2012–December 2013, Loadmaster Superintendent/C-17 Evaluator Loadmaster, 8th Airlift Squadron, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash. (May 2012–September 2012, Squadron Superintendent, 817th Expeditionary Airlift Squadron, Manas AB, Kyrgyzstan) (October 2013–November 2013, Squadron Superintendent, 816th Expeditionary Airlift Squadron, Det 1, Thumrait AB, Oman)
11. December 2013–June 2014, Command Manager Ops RAMS Loadmaster, Directorate of Operations, Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
12. July 2014–April 2017, C-17 Command Loadmaster Training Manager, Directorate of Operations, Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
13. April 2017–June 2019, Squadron Superintendent, 16th Airlift Squadron, Joint Base Charleston, S.C. (July 2018–December 2018, Group Superintendent, 385th Air Expeditionary Group, Al Udeid AB, Qatar)
14. June 2019–July 2020, Superintendent, 71st Operations Group, Vance AFB, Okla.
15. July 2020 – Present, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 80th Flying Training Wing, Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training Program, Sheppard AFB, Texas
Rating: Chief Enlisted Aircrew Badge
Flight Hours: 4,600 with more than 730 combat hours
Aircraft Flown: C-17A, C-5 A/B/C
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with 4 oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with 3 oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with 1 oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with 5 oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Kosovo Campaign Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary and Service Medals
Humanitarian Service Medal
1997 Distinguished Graduate, Enlisted Aircrew Undergraduate Course
1997 Distinguished Graduate, C-5 Loadmaster Initial Qualification Course
2000 60th Air Mobility Wing Enlisted Aircrew Member of the Year
2007 618th Air Operations Center, Global Readiness Directorate, NCO of the Year
2008 Distinguished Graduate, NCO Academy
2008 AMC’s Phoenix Stripe
2011 62nd Airlift Wing Henry “Red” Erwin Enlisted Aircrew Member of the Year
2011 62nd Airlift Wing Lance P. Sijan Award
2011 62nd Airlift Wing Senior Non-Commissioned Officer of the Year
2013 Trident University Master’s in Business Administration - Summa Cum Laude Graduate
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant Aug. 1, 2017
(Current as of July 2020)