SHEPPARD AIR FORCE BASE, Texas --
Tax season is upon us! The Sheppard Law Center has partnered with the IRS to administer the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program, a limited service, walk-in tax return preparation program for military members E-5/O-2 and below, retirees over 62 years of age who make less than $65,000 annually, and family members of these individuals. The Sheppard VITA Tax Center is scheduled to open Feb. 6 at 12 p.m. Please note that due to recent Air Force-wide changes affecting tax preparation services, the priority will be placed on serving Airmen in Training, Military Training Leaders and Instructors. On a walk-in basis only.
However, free in-person or online tax preparation services (such as http://www.militaryonesource.mil/financial-and-legal/taxes; United Way VITA office at 3301 Armory Rd, Wichita Falls, TX 76302) may nonetheless be available for other filers (e.g., E-6 to E-9, O-3+). [There is no federal endorsement of non-federal preparers.]
WHAT TO BRING: To have tax returns prepared, taxpayers should bring these items:
· Military/Retiree/Dependent identification
· Social Security cards (or individual taxpayer identification numbers) for taxpayers and dependents
· Birth dates for taxpayers and dependents
· All W-2s, 1098-Ts, 1099s (1099-MISC, 1099-INT, etc.), and unemployment or Social Security benefits
· Copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
· Bank routing and account numbers for direct deposit
· Supporting documentation for common tax credits (e.g. proof of expenses for child and dependent care, student loan interest, charitable donations, mortgage payments, real estate taxes, etc.)
SERVICES PROVIDED: The IRS-trained tax preparers can prepare and electronically file state and federal returns.
· Tax preparers do not prepare tax returns for casualty losses, depreciation, Schedules E or F, inventory, non-resident returns (residents of a foreign country), income from royalties, farms and ranch, non K-1 simple trusts, sole proprietorship or other business ventures, and rental properties.
· Please note that both spouses must be present, or the absent spouse must provide a power of attorney, to file taxes electronically on a married-filing-jointly tax return.
· Tax preparers reserve the right to deem tax returns outside the scope of the VITA program.
LOCATION/CONTACT: The Sheppard Law Center at 315 F Ave. (Bldg. 315). 676-2442; 676-2446
HOURS OF OPERATION: The Tax Center will be open Monday and Tuesday from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. and Wednesday, and Thursday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., starting Feb. 6. The tax center will also be open from 4-7 p.m. on Mondays and Tuesdays for Airmen in Training, Military Training Leaders and Instructors.