SHEPPARD AIR FORCE BASE, Texas --
Each year, Family Advocacy on base teams up with local organizations to raise awareness for child abuse during the Child Abuse Awareness Month campaign.
“Most people don’t realize the impact that abuse has on children, people tend to think that children are resilient and will be fine,” said Tiffany Esparza, Family Advocacy outreach manager. “This month is about bringing attention to child abuse, which is something people that don’t want to talk about.”
The U.S. government defines child abuse and neglect as the physical and mental injury, sexual abuse, negligent treatment or maltreatment of a child under the age of 18 by a person who is responsible for the child’s welfare under circumstances which indicates that the child’s health or welfare is harmed or threatened.
Throughout the month of April, Family Advocacy will be organizing multiple events to help people on and off base understand the effects of child abuse and what those effects can cause.
“A lot of our permanent party personnel and children use off base services,” Esparza said. Anything we teach here means a lot because the community look to us for guidance.”
Events this month include:
- The Wichita Falls Health Fair/ Walk of Knowledge, April 7 at 9 a.m.
- Six foot Blue Ribbon placement at the Main Gate
- Family Nerf Night at the Madrigal Youth Center on April 24 at 5:30 p.m.
- Build a Blue Ribbon display (all month)
- Car seat safety events at the community activity center on April 13 and 27 at 3 p.m.
-Traffic 911 presentation on April 26 at 8:30 a.m. for adults and 6 p.m. for teens
To report any instance of child abuse, please use the following hotlines.
- The Texas Child Abuse Hotline is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week and can be reached at 1-800-252-5400
- The National Child Abuse Hotline can be reached at 1-800-4-A-CHILD
- The Texas Youth Hotline can be reached at 1-800-98-YOUTH
- There is also the option of reporting child abuse by secure website at https://txabusehotline.org
For more information on how to help prevent or report child abuse call the Sheppard Family Advocacy Program at 940-676-2271.